ICANN’s empowered auction service provider, Power Auctions LLC, managed a new gTLD Program Auction on November 2015 expecting to solve string contention for one gTLD contention set: .HOTELS/.HOTEIS.
According to the last report of solving string contention as recommended in Module 4 of the New gTLD Program Applicant Guidebook, the auction was the solution of unsolved contention among the applicants.
The winner will conclude ICANN’s contracting process to sign a Registry Agreement to manage the gTLD if all the criteria for qualification will be met and exists awareness of the payment of the decisive price.
In the auction for .HOTELS/.HOTEIS only two applicants expressed their intention to participate. The winning price for .HOTELS was of $2,200,000, succeded by one of the applicants, the Booking.com B.V.
Until ICANN’s Board of Directors establishes a plan for a suitable use of the financial resources with the community’s contribution, all the incomes from the auction are being separated and retained from use.
For further information and details:
– Contention Set Status: 209 of 233 contention sets are now solved. While the majority have self-solved, 14 sets were solved through Auction.
– Auction Results: Auction reports on this page of the New gTLD Microsite ensure supplementary information on each Auction results.
– Auction Proceeds and Costs: A detailed brief of the incomes and costs of each Auction. This details will be updated in 7 days of each Auction.
– Auction Schedule: Further auctions are planned to happen starting in January 2016.
– General New gTLD Program Auctions information.